Friday, August 27, 2010

..reading..

I love to read.

I really enjoy just sitting/lying back with a book and just forget everything that's going on in life and how horrible things can get and just escape. To me it's more about the escape than the entertainment. Not saying that everything in my life is horrible, far from it, but there are those days when you just want to go and run off into the woods and live the rest of your life as a hermit or something.

The genre I prefer the most is High Fantasy. Books from the Dungeons and Dragons family of settings, though I do prefer anything that is kinda ancient history related. The idea that almost anything can happen with Magic, and that things are solved by thought and skill entrance me. You need to be good at what you do in order to thrive at it. I know that these books are always written about extra-ordinary characters, ones who basically excel at everything they attempt.

I would not be one of those characters.

Imagine a book written about yourself in another time? I'd be the farmers assistant, a labourer somewhere, or just some guy trying to get by. The kind that is randomly killed by the villian of the story without an afterthought, or affected by some poison or magic to further the plot, maybe killed by some horrendous beast that introduces the story's hero.  Everytime I begin to read these stories, I feel inspired to want to write something similar, a really good book gets me actually writing for a little bit before my lazyness takes over.

Also, it makes me think. Your life as a story. Are you the hero? the villian? or possibly just the bystander? How many different roles do you take in your own life?

1 comment:

  1. I've read a greater portion of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and find it to be the best High Fantasy series I've ever read, all around.

    I could go on and compare/contrast with LOTR, or the Sword of Truth/Legend of the Seeker, or even Piers Anthony's Xanth (or Blue Adept) series.

    But, WOT is by far the best. I bring this up, because it is the first series I've read where the main character actually grows, learns, fucks up, and acts like a real goddamned person. He does NOT always act like the ideal person, he does NOT always do the "right thing". It's amazing. <3

    If you haven't read it yet, by all means DO SO. I think you'll love it.
    Just a warning: the first book starts really slow, but get past that and you're golden.

    Mkay. I'm done.

    ReplyDelete